How Can I Expedite the Immigration Process in Los Angeles?

You may have heard that the immigration process takes a long time, however there are a few circumstances where the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) can expedite the immigration process. Each expedition request is reviewed on a case-by-case basis by the Director of the USCIS. Below are the criteria for requesting an expedited process and how to make such a request.

Criteria for the Immigration Process to Be Expedited

The criteria for allowing the immigration process to be expedited are as follows:

  • Severe financial loss to company or individual if immigration process takes regular route
  • Extreme emergent situation requiring immigration to be expedited
  • Humanitarian situation
  • Nonprofit status of requesting organization in furtherance of the cultural and social interests of the United States
  • Department of Defense or National Interest Situation (Note: Request must come from official United States Government entity stating that delay will be detrimental to our Government)
  • USCIS error in already started immigration process
  • Compelling interest of USCIS to expedite the immigration process

How to Request Expedited Processing

There are a few ways in which you can request expedited processing of your immigration status. You can write a letter to your local office handling your case file, you can visit your local office by scheduling an InfoPass appointment or you can call the National Customer Service Center (NCSC).

Writing a Letter

In order to make this request, you will need to prepare a letter, and send it to whichever office is currently handling your case file. If you are not sure which office is currently handling your case file, look at the correspondence you last received, it is usually sent from the office handling your case file. You can also call the USCIS to find out which office is handling your case file.

The letter should include enough personal detail that USCIS can locate your file (petitioner and beneficiary’s names, beneficiary’s date of birth and alien number (A#) if any, and the case number from your receipt notice). It should carefully outline the reasons for the request, making sure to explain exactly what you need and what unbearable consequences will arise if the request is not granted. Include proof of any claimed emergency, such as a letter from a doctor or a copy of your military orders.

Make a complete copy of the request, and send it via certified mail to the correct office. If you don’t hear anything within four weeks, send a follow-up letter.

Making a Call

If you have already filed your application or petition, you can make an expedite request by contacting the National Customer Service Center (NCSC) at 1-800-375-5283.  The NCSC will take a “service request” and forward your expedite request to the office with jurisdiction over the application or petition.

Making an Appointment

Scheduling an appointment with your local USCIS office is free, easy and saves time. You can schedule your appointment online at the USCIS InfoPass website. These services are available in 12 different languages and you can cancel or reschedule your appointment at any time online. For more information on the InfoPass system, see the USCIS InfoPass Information Website.

If you need immigration help in the Los Angeles area, contact the experienced immigration attorneys at Gastelum Law.